Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Sporting Triumphs

It was a strange day today because being a Tuesday, and a bank holiday, it felt very weird indeed. It was made even stranger by the fact that Saints were playing a home match against Huddersfield Town at 3 p.m. this afternoon and so it felt like a Saturday. I also spent some of the morning working - a strange state of affairs as in my previous life I would try to avoid work on a bank holiday at all costs! Tom was also confused as football matches on a Tuesday tend to kick-off in the evening and he was convinced that the game was an evening affair. He was, therefore, taken quite unawares when at 12 noon I asked him to get ready to go to Southampton. He was still in his pyjamas playing on his XBox! The weather was very foggy as we drove across to Southampton and the traffic in the city was terrible. We managed to get parked at just before 2 pm. - still time to visit the chippie where we shared a portion of chips and I had a fried cod (removing most of the batter to reduce the points!) before getting to the stadium. The ground wasn't as packed as I had expected and we were all rolling our eyes upwards when, after 13 minutes, we let in another silly goal. Shades of the Brentford game descended! However we equalised shortly after that and by halftime we were 2-1 up. Two further goals in the second half and the results elsewhere going our way meant that at the end of the day Saints jumped from 11th place to 5th in the space of ninety minutes and only two points behind the automatic promotion spot. We all left feeling pretty good. Tonight I went to bed early so that I could listen to the fourth and final day of the 4th Ashes Test Match in Melbourne. England only needed to take four more Australian wickets to win the match and retain the Ashes. I listened to the match in bed on my sports radio on headphones. Needing only one wicket to win the match and secure the Ashes my radio frequency suddenly changed to the Shipping Forecast which lasted ten minutes. Once over, listeners were greeted to the news that England had indeed won - so I missed the actual final ball of the game. Never mind, the result was what mattered and I was able to switch off and go to sleep by 1 a.m. A very satisfactory day in the sporting calendar!

No comments:

Post a Comment