Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bring it on Man Utd. Saints fans are waiting for you! (in the rain!)

Another very busy day today. Once more the weather was very wet. Peter M called to say that he and a couple of builders would be coming over at lunchtime to have a look at the work they would need to do to build our extension over the garage. As I was likely to be out at lunchtime, Sara agreed to be around to see them. Sara then went off to Morning Star after dropping Mary off at school in the car. I spent an hour or so dealing with some legal case work (in particular engrossing a referral agreement) and then set off for Warminster to drop off a piece of my masonic regalia for alteration and to pick up a new collar for a Christian Order. The weather didn't get any better as I then drove along the A36 to Southampton to secure tickets for Tom and me for the Manchester United cup tie on 29th January. When I arrived at St. Mary's there was a long queue standing in the rain back from the ticket office booths to about halfway along the Northam Stand. I had no choice but to join the dripping masses. I enjoyed a nice chat with a pensioner who had been a Saints supporter since the 1960s and we discussed football in that way any football club supporter knows - chatting about our team - its ups and downs (mainly downs!) One thing which did annoy me was that Southampton FC have installed car parking barriers and charges - the first half hour free and then £1 for every hour. As it happened, it took me precisely 59 minutes from entering the car park until leaving with my tickets which meant I had to pay a £1. One more minute in the queue would have cost me £2. I think the club should have been more generous and let us into the car park, on this occasion, for free. We are spending enough on this tie as it is. I called in at Trethowans, solicitors, on my way out of Southampton. Their offices are situated in the same road as Sara's old Secondary Convent School - St. Anne's. Tonight I attended a planning meeting for Food for Thought - the Church's Fresh Expressions outlet - in the Team Office. There were seven of us, including three clerics, and a plan was drawn up for the next six months. In fact, the meeting only lasted an hour and a quarter which is a great achievement. I was fearful it would last much longer. Richard and I met in the Lion's Head at 9.30 p.m. and continued discussing church matters over three pints of beer and a packet of porky scratchings each - my kind of meeting! It was a very fruitful meeting from my point of view as it cleared up a lot of thoughts and ideas in my mind on what I should be doing. My new weight loss seems to have me focussing my mind more sharply too - which reminds me - it's the big Fat Fighters' Weigh-In day tomorrow and I have just had three pints of beer and those non-fattening (not!) porky scratchings. Hmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment