Saturday, January 29, 2011

FA Cup Fourth Round

Up early again today - quite a day too! After Tom and I had breakfast - just a grapefruit for me today, we went up to the Hill Top Grill car park to meet up with the other players and their parents for yet another match between Winchester Youth and Clarendon Juniors. Again I was asked to lead the convoy to the Winchester ground. As I have done this journey twice already in the last few weeks I didn't bother to switch on the SatNav as I know my way there easily now. The wind was biting cold when we arrived and the temperature gauge in my car was reading just above freezing. Tom didn't get to play in the first half but Clarendon were up 1-0 at half time. Tom came on for the second half and he managed to double Clarendon's lead by an excellent run at goal and a powerful shot at their goalkeeper who was unable to keep his hands on the ball = it slipped into the goal. Winchester pulled one back towards the end of the game but the final score was a 2-1 win for Tom's team. After the game we drove down to Southampton and parked the car for free by some garages off The Avenue thanks to the Lion's Head landlady, Julie, giving me permission in the pub last night to park there. This saved me over over £6 car parking fee and she has said we can park there again for Saints' matches. It was a longer walk than normal but I enjoyed that = especially as I need to earn some more Weight Watchers' activity points this week. Tom and I walked to the St. Mary's Street chippie and I had an excellent haddock and chips (removing all the batter from my fish!) and Tom has sausage a chips. We then took a long walk around to the ground via St. Mary's Church arriving there a good three hours ahead of kick-off. We went into the shop to warm ourselves and also had a long chat with Nikki who sells the programmes. We walked three times around the stadium to keep warm and watched and waited as the Manchester United coach arrived with the players. Tom and I displayed the banner "Remember 1976? History Repeats Itself" which Sara had made last night using an old bed sheet and some excess red paint. It caused much interest and many people photographed us with it. We were even filmed by the TV crews and the banner appeared at the beginning of the match coverage on ITV this evening. Tom and I were interviewed for the Saints TV as well! The atmosphere was tremendous and we were treated to some excellent football by Southampton. A cracking goal by Richard Chaplow just before half time saw Saints going into the dressing room 1-0 up. However, as expected, Manchester United turned up the gas in the second half with the final result being 1-2 to United. Still we had a really good day out, the excitement of seeing Chaplow score against United and a bit of fame on TV! Feeling really tired as I write this. Too much excitement for one day for a pensioner!

No comments:

Post a Comment