Sunday, January 23, 2011

Visiting friends and family "Up North"


Woke around 7.30 a.m.and set about writing up my blog and reading my devotionals after having made myself a cup of tea. Malcolm was up a little later and we had a fairly leisurely morning until it was time to go off to church for the 10.30 a.m. Morning Worship service at Christ Church, Toxteth Park. In fact, we had such a leisurely morning that we had to walk quite briskly in order to get there on time. The service was led by Chris with Annette preaching. Chris, himself, only arrived three minutes before the service was due to start, after, he later told me, having to sort out his warring children. It makes me feel much better to find that even he has to deal with parental problems from time to time. Annette gave a good sermon on the topic of Jesus's calling of the disciples in Galilee and the general idea of change. It spoke well to me in parts as it also did to Caroline who sat next to me. Caroline and I had a lovely long chat after the service. It has been really good to see and talk to old friends. They are a friendly bunch who make me feel very much part of their congregation even if I only go to their church about three times a year (and probably less in the future). Malcolm and I had lunch at Maranto's in Lark Lane - roast beef and all the trimmings (I gave Malcolm my Yorkshire pudding) with vegetable soup and ice cream. A bit heavy on the pro-points but not as bad as yesterday! I set off for York at around 2.15 p.m. and arrived at my sister's at 4.15 p.m. to deliver Christmas and birthday presents and to have a cup of tea and a ham salad roll and a nice long chat. It was nice to see my niece and nephew (who is also my godson) and we spent a pleasant couple of hours together. I set off from Grimsby at about 6.30 p.m. arriving at Mum's at 8.15 p.m. Mum and I chatted until about 11.30 p.m. over a glass of wine. I was quite tired by then after a long day and a long drive across the country. There is no wireless here so will need to go to MacDonald's tomorrow in order to post this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment