Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The King's Speech

Getting up early is now becoming quite a regular habit. Usual ritual this morning of making Tom his breakfast and Sara her tea. Spent the morning in the study writing and dealing with correspondence whilst Sara worked in the dining room. Having read the reviews of the new British film "The King's Speech" I decided that I would take the afternoon off and go to the Odeon Cinema in Salisbury to see it. I am so glad that I did as it is an outstanding film and I really do hope that it picks up a few Oscars in due course. It has already won awards at the Golden Globes and is set to do well at the BAFTAs. I don't think I've enjoyed a film so much for a long time. Felt a bit old watching it as 85% of the audience were of an age who would have heard and understood the speeches of King George VI. Brilliant. When I got home I phoned Mum, a great Royalist who was born close to Sandringham and remembers well the death of the King in 1952 (and his speeches), to say that she must make sure she goes to see it before it is taken off the big screen. She hopes to go tomorrow - even if, like me, she goes alone. Tonight Richard and I met in the Lion's Head and chatted about quite a few things connected with church and families. He is such a good friend to have. I told him how good the film was and reflected on the fact that I have spent the whole of my life under one monarch, Queen Elizabeth II (so I'm an "Elizabethan") whereas he was born in 1950 and is thus a "Georgian". Siuch is the inaneness of our discussions sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment