Sunday, January 15, 2012

First Sermon at All Saints

A very important day indeed in my ministry training - delivering my first full sermon before a congregation - and in my home church too!  I arrived at All Saints at about 9.10 a.m. and Nils and I had a short chat and prayer time in the side chapel before the beginning of the service.  The church was well attended today and included one or two who are not normally there.  It was decided that I would deliver the sermon from the floor of the nave, just below the chancel and below the pulpit - and not in the pulpit itself.  That was my choice - I really felt that I wanted to be on the same level as those I was talking to.  I had woken up this morning with a heavy cold and headache and was very conscious of my rather deep gravelly voice.  The church was quite cold too and I hoped that people would not interpret any shivering with shaking with nerves.  I had well rehearsed the sermon and felt that I gave it clearly and competently - whether the congregation would find it enlightening, only time would tell.  I spoke, apparently for twelve and a half minutes - a little more that my previous nine minutes of rehearsal.  This extension was probably due to my speaking a bit slower and adding a few ad-libs here and there.   After the service quite a number of people did congratulate me and I am sure most of the congratulations were indeed genuine and not said simply out of politeness.  Richard and Mandy were there as my official support group and will give me fuller official feedback shortly.  We had a late roast chicken lunch this afternoon and after watching the Newcastle v QPR games I watched the film McArthur starring Gregory Peck, upstairs in the bedroom. Sara watched The Devil Wears Prada starring Meryl Streep with the kids.  I rang Mum this evening who seemed to be in good spirits and later went down to the Lion's Head where Richard debriefed me from his notes on my sermon.  His views were very encouraging and I feel my calling confirmed to the ministry of preaching and teaching and not sacramental.  Klynn joined us for a couple of pints which was a pleasant surprise.  Still feeling under the weather when I returned home walking through the dark cold night with the winter stars shining brightly - and a glimpse of Mars as it rises in the east.

No comments:

Post a Comment