Sunday, January 08, 2012

My First Service at West Dean

A really important day in my ministry training today - my first fully-led church service.  After a breakfast of bacon and black pudding - I went to All Saints, Winterslow for the Parish Eucharist, led by Nils and Andrew,  and to see Maggie admitted as the new church warden in place of Richard.  Sara, Tom and Mary came on later with Tom helping out at Junior Church as part of his Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme.  I left church immediately after taking communion and drove over to West Dean Church (the church were Sara was commissioned as an LPA) where I was to lead Morning Worship.  I arrived about fifteen minutes before the service was due to begin and discussed logistics with Alan, the churchwarden and Jane, the organist.  Nils arrived just before the service was due to start and with my support group, Sara and family and Sophie there were about 20 in the congregation - a really good number.  I most confess to feeling rather nervous as we started but my confidence grew as the service progressed and everything seemed to fall into place.  Sara said that I did seem very professional/ministerial and formal, a view echoed by Sophie, but for this particular church I feel that is no bad thing.  I felt very similar to how I feel when I go into court - "in the zone" as they say.  I am sure I will feel more relaxed as my ministry develops.  Everybody was very kind.  Next week will be a bigger test as I deliver my first sermon - and in my home church.  This afternoon, as relaxation, I watched the Manchester City v. Manchester United cup tie which was an exciting game ending with a 2-3 win for United.  niPeterborough lost to Sunderland and in the Fourth Round Draw Southampton have been picked to play Dagenham & Redbridge or Millwall away.  I shall not be going to that game anyway as I have a training day at Sarum College on that Saturday.  Not an exciting draw but one we can win.  Sara felt poorly this afternoon - back ache and headache so spent a good deal of the afternoon on the sofa watching TV.  I phoned Mum who seemed in good spirits despite spending tomorrow in hospital having tests.  My sister Heather had been to visit her today with my niece Hannah.  I think that has raised her spirits.  Tonight our team won the Pub Quiz again with a resounding 19 points lead!  Another bottle,of wine was brought home.  Sara was feeling better this evening and we end the day watching the film Grumpy Old Men with Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau.  I stayed up further to watch Sky at Night hosted by a very aged Patrick Moore discussing the planets in other solar systems.  some interesting material for my next magazine article.

No comments:

Post a Comment