Thursday, January 05, 2012

Titanic Talk in former Swimming Pool!

Another long day today.  I spent the morning in the study working on some Complex work.  Sophie called round at lunchtime to see Sara and I ate a quick bowl of chicken soup before leaving Winterslow to drive to Hove where I arrived at Peter's at 2.30 p.m.  After a cup of tea and a change into my formal masonic dress, Peter drove me over to St. Leonard's near Hastings, picking up one of the Assistant Provincial Grand Masters for Sussex, Tony Davies and his wife in Eastbourne.  We arrived at the St. Leonard's Masonic Centre at 5pm. for the East Sussex First Principals' Chapter meeting which started at 5.30 p.m.  The building is a former Assembly Rooms and the lodge room itself a former swimming pool. How appropriate for a talk on Titanic.  After about an hour of formal business, the ladies were invited into the lodge room to join the men where I gave a one hour illustrated talk on "Freemason on the Titanic" which, to pardon the pun, seemed to go down very well.  The talk was followed by an excellent dinner (pate, chicken and mint chocolate cheese cake) where I was the guest of honour together with the Deputy Provincial Grand Superintendent and the Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies - both of whom I know very well from Brighton chapters.  We all sat on the top table. It seems that my talk inspired a lot of conversation around the diner table and was deemed a success.  I was pleased as Peter had recommended my talk to the chapter and I really felt that I could not let him down.  After dropping Tony and Pat off in Eastbourne, Peter and I return to Hove where I spent the night in my usual room in his house.  We chatted for about two hours before going to bed and had a glass of one of my favourite wines - a Shiraz produced by Robert Moldavi's Woodbridge winery in the Napa Valley, California.  After speaking briefly to Sara on the phone I went to bed, quite exhausted but also delighted that the evening had gone so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment